Summer is such an exciting time of year! The weather has finally warmed up, kids are out of school for a few weeks, and flowers are in full bloom. While, admittedly, summer is more exciting for those that are out of school, there are ways for the ones working through the season to embrace these few months! I am here to share with you some of my favorite things about summer. If you are finding it hard to enjoy this season, or just haven’t fully embraced it, I suggest making your own list of summer favorites!
1) Iced coffee. It is an absolute must on these hot southern summer days! I love getting mine with just a bit of cinnamon syrup! I also have gotten into making my own cold brew coffee, which is a bit of a process, but so rewarding and yummy!
2) Reading outside. I am a bit of a book worm, and if I were listing my favorite things about winter, one of them would be “reading inside.” So I guess pretty much any time of year you’ll find me reading, but during the summer I love setting up my hammock in the park and reading for hours on end (usually while sipping on an iced coffee).
3) Swimming. It is one of the most amazing feelings to jump into the water after being out in the hot sun all day. Whether it be a lake, pool, or the ocean, I could spend all day in the water. I absolutely love going to the lake with my family (we have been going to Lake Gaston since I was little).
4) Grilling out. A summer afternoon spent grilling out with family is the best! I love chicken kabobs with lots of mushrooms, onions, and squash!! Add some corn on the cob and a glass of white wine, and I will be one happy girl!
5) Summer Storms. While storms throughout the rest of the year are soothing in their own way, there is something about summer storms that I just absolutely love! My favorite thing to do during a storm is sit on the porch and just listen to the rain. All I would need is a good book and a cup of coffee to stay content for hours on end.
6) Farmers Markets. My, oh, my, I love the farmers market! I love seeing all the different local artisans and farmers that set up their products. I can’t eat enough fresh fruit, especially during the summer. I especially love cherries, peaches, and blackberries.
Now that I have listed a few of my favorite summer activities, I challenge you to create your own list of favorites. Don’t just make the list, but make time to do each of your favorite summer things! Turn it into a game to see how many you can check off. Enjoy!